You have always relied on your parents being there and now you are at that point of your life when you notice that your parents are aging. Discussing aging parents and care is something that most people are generally not used to.
In choosing the most appropriate care for a parent, there are a number of considerations that you will need to discuss and ask:
- How do I begin talking with my parents about their care needs?
- How will the care be funded?
- What options are available and are they nearby?
- What types of help do my parents need – ie bathing, eating, transportation, medication reminders?
- What types of aged care are available? How do they differ?
- Are they used to living in an apartment/townhouse? Do they like a garden?
- Do they have any special needs that I will need to consider?
- What are my parents’ wishes?